Pumpkin Patch

Monday, April 26, 2010

Sweet Hour of Prayer

Evie went for her Kindergarten check up today.  She is growing up so FAST!  47 pounds/ 3 feet 9 inches/90th % for height, 95th % for weight.  She passed her hearing check.  Good news, always a plus to know that she DOES hear what I am saying to her despite the blatant ignoring and having to repeat myself  20 times!  So now I know.  They did an eye check also, which Evie did not pass.  She was able to read the first 3 lines, but everything after that was a blur.  The nurse tried and tried to get her to read the shapes, but Evie kept saying she couldn't see them and that they looked like fuzzy dots.  It doesn't surprise me, birthmom wore glasses, SO, a referral to the opthomologist at Children's.  We have an appointment in a few weeks.    
I knew going into this appointment that Evie would need shots.  I choose to vaccinate my child because  there are so many who choose not to.  I need to protect her; especially living so close to the border of Mexico.  She had to get 4 pokes.  She needed a finger prick to check for anemia, Polio and DTap (Diptheria Tetanua and Pertussis) vaccines and a TB test.
She was not a happy camper.  This little woman does not like shots.  She cried BIG OL CROCODILE  tears when I told her she needed to get some shots.  After many cuddles and consoling words of courage, shot time arrived.   As I held her tightly in my lap, with sobbs of sadness and tears streaming down her face, she asked if she could say a prayer. (it could have been a stall tactic, but what a tactic!) I asked the nurse, who had the shot in her hand ready to go, if we could take a moment to pray.  She said sure and she put down the needle in the tray.  Evie bowed her head and closed her eyes and with her little weepy voice she said the sweetest prayer to her Heavenly Father for comfort and courage as she got her shots.  After Amen, the shots were given.  Of course, Evie survived, got lots of stickers, a happy meal and some ice cream.  When we were in the car getting ready to leave the doctors office, I told Evie how wonderful it was that she prayed to Heavenly Father for comfort.  She said, "I know mom!  We should thank him for giving me courage to get my shots."  So a sweet prayer of thanks was said.
A trip to the doctors...$15 copay.  A happy meal and ice cream as a reward for bravery for getting shots...$9.  A gospel lesson on the power of prayer taught by my 4 and a half year old...priceless.      

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great story! She really is learning what is being taught! What a sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is about the sweetest thing I have heard in a while! You have a beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good kid! I love her so much! :)

    ReplyDelete


Hope you still feel small as you stand beside the ocean

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Hidden Valley, CA, United States
Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother~ Oprah